RE: DSM: public school prisons (sharing the SVS model, etc.)

BrownCM@aol.com
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 10:36:17 EST

>Fairhaven has a tuition assistance program, but even if >we didn't I would
> say that any parents that are willing to do what needs >to be done to send
> students there can and will.

I'm very glad to hear that your school is working on ways to be accessible to
kids from a variety of economic backgrounds, and I have personally witnessed
parents making all kinds of sacrifices to send their kids to a Sudbury school
- but the reality remains that not everyone can afford tuition, or
transportation, or lunch, all of which are required to attend Sudbury Valley
and most Sudbury schools. Some families have made all their sacrifices
already for food and shelter, and exhausted all their creativity, and there
isn't enough money left nor enough resources available to them to get their
kids to a private school. To dismiss those parents as simply unwilling to do
what needs to be done is insulting and disrespectful, and doesn't get us any
closer to making real educational alternatives available to all kids.

I'm not arguing against private schools by any means, I just don't want us to
lose sight of the reality that when you charge money for something you shut
out people who don't have enough. We need to believe that and work with it.

Cary