Re: DSM: Sharing the SVS model

Sugmapl@aol.com
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 00:57:45 EST

Julianne,

Exactly, if we get beyond attack and defend, beyond right and wrong, then we
get to questions and then maybe, maybe to creation.

So what if the people of the Sudbury Valley School, the students and the
staff, what if they are more valuable than the school itself?
What if they are vastly more valuable?
What if the school is the line, the template, the jig, the taxonomy, the
lattice, the outline, the algorithm, the paradigm?
What if the social and cultural production of free children is simply vastly
more valuable?
What if the (there may in fact be only one such condition) sufficient
condition for the creation of this vastly more valuable thing (the social and
cultural production of free children) is respect for the child?
What if this respect is found deep within relationship?
And then
What if the public school is only the line, the template, the jig, the
taxonomy, the lattice, the outline, the algorithm, the paradigm?
What if only one single child in any public school is vastly more important
than any line, template, jig, taxonomy, lattice, outline, algorithm, or
paradigm?
What if that child is in a deep and respectful relationship with another
child or teacher?
What if the institution does not see it or promote it or sanction it or
condone it or nurture it? What if they do it anyway?

The brilliance of Sudbury Valley is that it does see, allow, condone, nurture
and accept respectful relationships. But it is the people involved that
create both the relationships and the respect.

What if Sudbury Valley is the only instutution that allows, condones,
nurtures and accepts respectful relationships between children and adults?
Well then it's a damn valuable institution.

But I still believe that the students and staff are vastly more valuable. I,
in fact, believe that one public school child is vastly more valuable than
all the Sudbury Valley schools. Once we focus on and characterize the
essential nature of a Sudbury Valley school, once we catalog all the
necessary and sufficient conditions for building a Sudbury Valley school, we
can turn them out like hot cakes. Maybe 30 years for each hot cake, but
still, hot cakes.

But the people involved for all those thirty years? Each is simply unique and
vastly more valuable.

And if these ideas are not useful, please just forget them.

BIll Richardson