Re: DSM: Sharing the SVS model

John Axtell (newlife@theofficenet.com)
Thu, 09 Nov 2000 20:00:29 -0800

Dear Ben,

I may have my head in the sand but I believe that vouchers can result in real
educational reform.

The interesting thing is that here in the State of Washington the Legislature has
passed laws that allow real educational reform. Teachers, administrators,
Superintendents and dead school boards have made sure nothing happens. School
boards have never been functional.

It is the lack of competition that deadens any company, public education, ATT or
defense contractors. It makes no difference - no competition results in a dead
organization that pretends to be alive.

Only when we have a full range of options in this country will there be any real
hope for massive improvement in the lot of our citizens. I do not believe that
either major political party have any desire to take on the teachers unions so it
will have to wait until the parents are mad enough to make a change in the
system, politicians will not do it as teachers are the reason they get reelected.

Just this week the teachers union did a good job and got their two education
initiatives passed. (They spent LOTS of union dues doing it !) Because of these
initiative we will see more money go into decreasing class size and an automatic
cost of living pay increase, forever, for all teachers. Of course the rest of the
state employees do not participate in this little windfall. The charter school
initiative, which I spoke out against, just failed by a few points.

The State School Superintendent, a past state union teachers president, just got
reelected with no one opposing her. Who has the money to fight the teachers
union? The citizens have exactly the school system they so richly deserve. As
the masses continue their rapid fall downward those few who are really educated
will have a much easier time succeeding in their life's endeavors.

We must remember that the educational system exists for the benefit of the titans
of our economy, so who better to have at the helm of the educational ship !!!

If public money can be put into vouchers that can be used at public or private
schools I think you will see real educational reform.

John Axtell