RE: DSM: public school prisons (sharing the SVS model, etc.)

Scott Gray (sdg@aramis.sudval.org)
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 19:37:14 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Connie Shaw wrote:

> There's a public school in Lakewood, Colorado called Jefferson County Open
> School that's been open for about 30 years, where there are no grades, no
> tests, and very few requirements for graduation. Kids play a large part in
> running the school, and they propose and teach classes. Students are not
> required to attend every classe they sign up for, but if a student never
> attends a single class they will not be able to stay enrolled. For most of
> the high school aged students, Friday is a free day where they can do what
> they want. Many don't come to school that day, but work at jobs or on
> projects they've initiated at school.
>
> This school, while not perfect, is preferable to any public school I've ever
> encountered. Students and staff love the place. They do things they're
> interested in. They support each other's growth. I believe they've gotten
> about as close as you can get to implementing the Sudbury model in a public
> school setting.

I think I know the school you are talking about. I remember a
presentation about them at the National Conference on Alternative Schools
a couple years ago.

You have made exactly my point -- that is as close as you can get to the
Sudbury Model whilst still in a traditional school setting. The school
described may be preferable to other traditional schools, but it is still
organized around the idea that one group knows what is best for another
group. The school you describe does not have anything in common with a
Sudbury Model school. And it is not an institution I would support or
willingly send my children to.

> -Connie Shaw

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sdg@sudval.org
http://www.sudval.org/~sdg
The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well
as the poor, to sleep under the bridges, to beg in the
streets, and to steal bread.

-- Anatole France