RE: DSM: public school prisons (sharing the SVS model, etc.)

Connie Shaw (ordinary_person@email.msn.com)
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 15:43:01 -0700

There's a public school in Lakewood, Colorado called Jefferson County Open
School that's been open for about 30 years, where there are no grades, no
tests, and very few requirements for graduation. Kids play a large part in
running the school, and they propose and teach classes. Students are not
required to attend every classe they sign up for, but if a student never
attends a single class they will not be able to stay enrolled. For most of
the high school aged students, Friday is a free day where they can do what
they want. Many don't come to school that day, but work at jobs or on
projects they've initiated at school.

This school, while not perfect, is preferable to any public school I've ever
encountered. Students and staff love the place. They do things they're
interested in. They support each other's growth. I believe they've gotten
about as close as you can get to implementing the Sudbury model in a public
school setting.

-Connie Shaw