Eduardo Cortina (cortinae@juno.com)
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 13:46:33 -0500

Just wanted to join in here.

I used to work in Day Care before I found out about the SVM. I knew
something was wrong with the system, but I seemed to be the only staff
member at the day care I worked at who felt this way. It was actually my
boss who suggested I check out the SVS in Framingham (because I was
becoming a problem).

I did and was fortunate enough to have 9 visiting days (I ran for staff),
but unfortunately I did not run for staff in a year in which new staff
were needed.
The following year I found an after school program which seemed to have
the least structure, most freedom possible. The children could actually
choose which rooms they wanted to be in and what activities they wanted
to participate in (for part of the time at least) I enjoyed many days of
watching children play and learn, and I just watched-- it was wonderful.
I also saw many other staff "try to teach things" and how it failed.
Eventually, conflicts came up with me and the other staff (they felt I
was too loose) , and again I was outnumbered and out-tenured, so I left.
At that point I gave up on working with children, but someday I might
join a SVS community or help start one.

For now I've chosen other work. My point is that even in the most
innovative and well intentioned programs available, the current system is
still in control. I told my last job that if we choose to mold children
and teach them the way we were taught, it is most likely that the future
generations will create a world much like the one we see today. If we
give them freedom from our own thoughts, beliefs, etc. . . or at least
the freedom to choose there own, they may create a whole new world.
Where would you place your bet?

And why invest in a system that does not work, can't work, won't, and has
never really worked to create a peaceful, loving world.

Also, I wanted to mention a web sight that people on this list might be
interested in: www.learningmethods.com. A great web site about how
learning actually takes place, and using one's own resources to solve
problems. Learning methods is a tool for finding the root cause of a
difficulty or problem so that learning and change can take place, rather
than just dealing with symptoms.