Re: DSM: Sharing the SVS model

Julianne Madrid (huli_madrid@yahoo.com)
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 10:07:19 -0800 (PST)

Kathleen,
I really appreciate what you wrote. I think the
Sudbury Model does go beyond right and wrong (from my
limited knowledge). I think it's important to create
something without it having to be because something
else is bad. Why would we want to create a school in
reaction to the system we have now? Isn't that just
called school reform? I think the SVS model is a
whole new paradigm and the quesitons you ask are
important. I understand the tendency to attack the
system, because I'm confronted by it everyday in my
job in a public school. I also realize that it isn't
useful to do so. It's more useful for me to focus on
creating something that does work for people.
Julianne Madrid

--- Avenfeliz1@aol.com wrote:
> Rick,
> I'm not into the attack and defend mode. So I'll
> answer you and not the
> I make no defense of my profession. I don't think
> that she's right. I don't
> think that she's wrong. I don't think I'm right. I
> don't think I'm wrong.
> What if the Sudbury Model goes beyond right or
> wrong? What if it goes beyond
> attack and defend? What if you can't free the
> children without a new method
> that goes beyond right or wrong? I think the
> Sudbury model is taking a bad
> rap here. It's not about attack and defend. And
> it's not about trashing
> other people's decisions. I could come back and
> defend my position. I could
> attack in kind. But I won't.
> I will say this: I believe in my bones that the
> children I work with are not
> free, even in my classes. What I do think (I admit,
> I don't really "know" a
> lot.) that I love the people I spend my days with.
> I respect them. I don't
> care for the public school system. I never have.
> Generally, I find it quite
> oppressive. I wish the Sudbury Model was the norm.
> But it's not. ( I
> prefer the Sudbury Model for my son.) And because
> it's not, not every child
> or teacher can go there. And because we're not all
> able to do this, are we
> to give up, sit back and whine that we're not free?
> I prefer not to do
> that.
>
> And when you give up the attack and defend model,
> what's left?
> Maybe just a more interesting set of questions,
> like:
>
> 1. Does, in fact, the Sudbury Model call forth a
> new method qualitatively
> different
> than attack and defend?
> 2. Why, after thirty years are Sudbury schools so
> hard to do, given that
> other educational models are so patently invasive
> and destructive?
> 3. Are children or anyone ever really damaged?
> 4. If they are damaged, what is the
> characterization of such damage?
> 5. If Sudbury Valley schools can institutionalize
> respect for children, and
> such respect is the sufficient condition for the
> freedom of children, can
> others ,knowing this, offer respect on their own in
> institutions other than
> this model?
> 6. Basically, was there not both kindness and
> goodness, among slaves, even
> in the plantation system?
> Kathleen Richardson

=====
Julianne Madrid :)
"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes." --Mahatma Gandhi