Evfocus@aol.com
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 12:21:17 EST

Ok, then one more question for you to ponder or disregard:
1. Should we all go out on strike or quit on the bases that we're commiting
treason?
Kathleen

I am pleased that some public school teachers are involved in these
discussions. I have an eight year old daughter that went to public school
through the second grade and then now goes to a Sudbury School.

I did a lot of reading of Sudbury literature before deciding to send her
there.
However, there was something else I read that also compelled me to make the
switch from traditional to Sudbury. It was some autobiographical information
about Bill Gates. Bill Gates went to public school through the sixth grade.
However, he was disruptive and was getting poor grades so his parents sent
him to a private school.

While he was at the private school, the mothers at the school purchased a
computer. None of the teachers had computer experience or training. Bill and
some of his good friends became interested in it. There was no one at the
school that could teach them to program it. They learned from books and one
of the friend's fathers who worked with computers. Soon the school was
paying Bill at 13, to write programs to schedule classes.

There assumption that most schools seem to operate on is that give children
the best equipment and the most knowledgeable teachers and that is the
formula for success. Yet, Bill Gates became Bill Gates because his school
purchased something that no one there could even teach. So the difference
between a public school and a Sudbury school is not just that the students
are in a more humane situation. They are not treated as empty receptacles
that need to be filled with information.

I would hope that public school teachers do read some of the Sudbury books
and then can determine for themselves whether there is a way to incorporate
the philosphy in thier classes.

I would like one day to be able to say my daughter goes to a Sudbury School
and not be have to explain what that is.
Evelyn