Re: DSM: (Almost) errorless measurement

Arie Dirkzwager (aried@xs4all.nl)
Thu, 09 Nov 2000 10:47:13 +0000

At 14:01 8-11-00 -0800, Kathleen Stilwell wrote:
> From my study of the Sudbury model it seems that
>mandatory testing of any child could not be a part of
>the Sudbury model.

         Multiple Evaluation is in it's essence a method of self-assessment
and this in my opinion fits quite well in the Sudbury model.

Arie

> [...]
> > tests they were
> > kind of random and didn't nescessarily have anything
> > to do with the
> > world view of the child, so the children really
> > couldn't understand the
> > problems and didn't pass the tests. But my fellow
> > student has come to a
> > conclusion that the tests really aren't even very
> > hard problems for her
> > kids when they are set in a common situation and
> > have meaning to the
> > children.
> >
> > So I could assume that the key issue here is
> > motivation. If the problem
> > is really important to you and you really want to
> > solve it, you use much
> > more attention and effort in solving it, thus the
> > probablility to pass a
> > test with "real" problems becomes much more probable
> > than solving
> > "hypothetical" problems. This means that the "school
> > test" actually have
> > no value at all, because they test only "school
> > survival", not real life
> > skills and "global knowledge".
> >
> > Also there is a lot of research in the field of
> > transfer, meaning how
> > the learner can use the things learned in a new
> > situation, stating that
> > learning is very much situated, and there is great
> > difficulty in
> > transfering the knowledge in totally different kinds
> > of environment.
> > There is also great difficulty in making instruction
> > into transferable
> > knowledge.
> >
> > This again means that if you learn something at
> > school and know it in
> > the test, it is very likely that you have no means
> > of using that
> > knowledge in real life situations, thus making the
> > test results totally
> > useless and meaningless.
> >
> > There is much discussion about these issues in
> > Sudbury literature and
> > there is also a lot of research supporting the
> > assumptions that are made
> > in the literature.
> >
> > Marko Koskinen
> > Finland
> >
> > > the main problem is with the tests themselves.
> > They don't measure real
> > > knowledge. Real command of knowledge only shows
> > itself in the presence of a
> > > true problem. A true problem is not one in which
> > the answer is known and must
> > > be picked from a pile (That is just an exercise),
> > but one in which the answer
> > > doesn't yet exist and must be discovered or
> > created. You may eliminate guessing
> > > from computer-graded standardized tests, but the
> > only way you can measure true
> > > knowledge is by how a person uses the knowns to
> > find the unknowns. And thus the
> > > unknowns must be truly unknown to the person, and
> > not just one of a pile of
> > > possibles.

>Thousands of Stores. Millions of Products. All in one Place.

BetterSystems,
Prof.Dr.A.Dirkzwager,
Educational Instrumentation Technology,
Computers in Education.
Huizerweg 62,
1402 AE Bussum,
The Netherlands.
voice: x31-35-6981676
E-mail: mailto:aried@xs4all.nl
web site featuring educational testing methods:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~aried/home.htm
When reading the works of an important thinker, look first for the
apparent absurdities in the text and ask yourself how a sensible person
could have written them." T. S. Kuhn, The Essential Tension (1977).
Accept that some days you are the statue, and some days you are the bird.