Re: DSM: (Almost) errorless measurement

Arie Dirkzwager (aried@xs4all.nl)
Thu, 09 Nov 2000 10:30:10 +0000

Rick,
         The TestBet program in which I implemented the Multiple Evaluation
method features also open ended questions. In that case the testee has to
think up the "pile of possibles" (answer options) and assign the
probabilities to them. But of course one could go further: the main thing
is not to answer given questions but to ask the right questions and
thinking about them is really furthering (new) knowledge. That should be
trained in education. In that perspective Multiple Evaluation is a (minor
but important) help. One could ask the students to formulate relevant
questions and have them answered by their fellow students and see what
happens. I extended "TestBet" to "BetVote" to do exactly that. In that way
questions (not answers) can be evaluated. However the psychometrics of that
approach is a little bit tricky.

Kind greetings,

Arie