Re: DSM: Sharing the SVS model

Rick Stansberger (rickstan@zianet.com)
Wed, 08 Nov 2000 13:35:43 -0700

Kathleen,

Dawn was pretty harsh on you below, and I bet a fiver she's never been a
teacher, or she wouldn't have said it that way. I've been a teacher since 1974,
and I'm telling you, though, that she's right. Only when teachers drop the
blinders and stop hiding behind all the alphabet jargon (IEP's, PPO's, ISS's)
and admit that they're killing initiative and curiosity in kids -- only then
will the soul murder stop in schools. There is absolutely no physical reason
(money or facilities) that every public school could not adopt the sudbury
model. No physical reason, but many psychological ones. The first step is to
look at how we harm the kids and lie to ourselves in order to keep on doing it.

Rick

--
"Heaven and skid row are separated only by an act of consciousness."  Robert A.
Johnson