Re: DSM: (Almost) errorless measurement

Rick Stansberger (rickstan@zianet.com)
Wed, 08 Nov 2000 11:46:00 -0700

Arie,
the main problem is with the tests themselves. They don't measure real
knowledge. Real command of knowledge only shows itself in the presence of a
true problem. A true problem is not one in which the answer is known and must
be picked from a pile (That is just an exercise), but one in which the answer
doesn't yet exist and must be discovered or created. You may eliminate guessing
from computer-graded standardized tests, but the only way you can measure true
knowledge is by how a person uses the knowns to find the unknowns. And thus the
unknowns must be truly unknown to the person, and not just one of a pile of
possibles.

Rick

--
"Heaven and skid row are separated only by an act of consciousness."  Robert A.
Johnson