Re: DSM: Looking for Democratic School in Los Angeles

Freekids@aol.com
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 19:21:21 EST

Hi Susan,

This is Stuart Williams-Ley, a staff member at Cedarwood Sudbury School in
Santa Clara, CA, responding to your questions:

>>I am looking for like-minded people in the Los Angeles area. What about
San Diego or Riverside?>>

>From time to time people from San Diego contact us. We ask them if they would
like to be added to the list we keep of San Diego names and e-mail addresses.
If so, we send them the other names and e-mail addresses. Our intention is to
help these people get a founders group started. We haven't done this for the
LA area yet, because we get fewer inquiries from there.

>> If I were to consider opening my own school, would I have to have teaching
credentials? Or would I need to hire someone? Or would it be better to have
teachers that just respect children?>>

California law does not require staff at private schools to have credentials.
Staff members at Sudbury schools are elected by students and staff; a
candidate who did not respect children would probably not get elected.

By the way, it would be a good idea for you to visit one of the Northern
California schools--Sacramento Valley, Diablo Valley, or us.

Good luck,

Stuart