Re: DSM: Path

Dana Bennis (dbennis@umich.edu)
Mon, 06 Nov 2000 17:48:07 -0500

>No other school in the world goes as far to allow students to find _their_
>path. The vast majority of the schools (the "good" schools) I have been
>involved in during my life help students find someone else's path, hoping
>they will make it theirs. The rest (not so "good") find it for them.

I completely agree, and I attempted to send a message a couple days ago
saying something very similar to this, but it never showed up. I am
wondering, though, if the effect of the wonderful atmosphere at Sudbury is
limited and/or counteracted by the outside people and society with whom the
children come in contact after school hours and on weekends, etc? Do some
students even in the environment of Sudbury not find a path as easily or at
all because outside factors set up a conflict inside them?

I imagine that the answer is that we just let whatever happen happen, and
trust the children. And that sounds wonderful to me, as I do trust them.
I think it is my idealism that is talking now, as I know numerous people
who are going through their lives doing something they do not enjoy - it is
as though they are following someone else's path, one that already exists,
and I know that they are unhappy. Basically, I do not want any more
people going through their lives in that way, and I want children to have
the best chance for that not to happen. . .

Dana