DSM: RE: Sharing the SVS model

Joseph Moore (joseph@ivorycc.com)
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 14:54:08 -0800

It's tough - I'd bet I tick off 3 people (minimum) for every one I make any
contact with when discussing the model. It's not (usually) just concern for
children that's talking - it's that reassessing schooling is in many ways
reassessing our own sense of worth.

One minor thing that helps some people, in that it's a little less
threatening to think of it this way - in any traditional learning that
demonstrably works, there's always WAY more time on your own than in any
teacher/learner situation. If you want to learn a musical instrument, say,
you just need a lot more time to work on things by your self than you need
with a teacher over your shoulder. It's not how many hours of lessons you
take - it how much you practice between lessons.

This clicks with some people. Others think that kids learning reading or
math are somehow different - they are, maybe, but only in that they probably
benefit even more from unsupervised free time.

Uphill battle, for sure.

Joseph Moore
DVS Dad

-----Original Message-----
From: Julianne Madrid [mailto:huli_madrid@yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 05, 2000 11:36 AM
To: discuss-sudbury-model@aramis.sudval.org
Subject: DSM: Sharing the SVS model

I currently work in a public middle school and what
I've read about the model just makes so much sense.
It has been a process, however, to give up the
assumptions I have about schooling as a society.

So, as I look to create a school, I have been sharing
with people around me the possibility I see in the SVS
model. The thing that seems to be the biggest hang up
for people is that children won't learn anything. I
know this was my initial thought when I first started
reading about the model, and it requires giving up
control. In my (fairly useless) education classes we
spend so much time talking about how to control a
classroom. Letting go is very scary for most people.

I've been puzzled about what is at the root of this
assumption that children won't learn anything. It
seems to me that it stems from the fact that we think
people are inherently flawed. So then, getting people
to see the value in the SVS model would require them
accepting that humans aren't inherently flawed? Does
anyone have any comments on this?

=====
Julianne Madrid :)
"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make
mistakes." --Mahatma Gandhi