DSM: Path

Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 16:20:15 -0500

John,

> A path can not be found unless it exists.
>
> A person moving forward does not create a path.

Your definition of "path" is different than mine, then. When I say "path" I
mean literally the path an individual follows moving forward between birth
and death, and that path, in of itself, is a sacred thing.

Sometimes a being's path may cross well-traveled ground. Other times,
they're more like Lewis & Clark, traveling paths that did not exist until
they found them.

> A group moving forward creates a path (and usually a cloud of dust!).

Yet another definition of the word...

> Are we really interested in students "finding" their "path"?

No other school in the world goes as far to allow students to find _their_
path. The vast majority of the schools (the "good" schools) I have been
involved in during my life help students find someone else's path, hoping
they will make it theirs. The rest (not so "good") find it for them.

> Is our goal to expose a student to the "earth" and follow behind
> them as they
> experience their existence?

That was not specifically my goal when I built Fairhaven; I wanted to build
a place where I knew my son and daughter would be free from interference.

I don't really "follow" them, either; I tend to allow myself an occasional
glimpse and silently cheer when they're not looking :)

As far as exposure to the earth is concerned, 1) You cannot stop these kids
from devouring information about the world at large like they were starving,
and 2) the world we live in today is a screaming barrage of information - it
can't be avoided.

> If so, can a student see anything but
> the horizon
> that exists from where he/she exists?

No. If they knew everything, life wouldn't be worth living.

At Fairhaven, the horizon is an invitation; it is THEIR horizon which
beckons to them and them alone.

At other schools reaching out for YOUR horizon gets you a metaphysical slap
in the face, and you keep getting slapped until you start trying to want the
path the system is forcing on you.

> How can we know if our actions are
> enhancing or hindering their experience of their existence?

If by actions you mean directing their experiences, then we know for sure
that we are preventing them from experiencing THEIR existence. I say that
constitutes a hindrance.

See http://www.fairhavenschool.com/2000fallnews/2000fa1.htm

-Joe Jackson from Fairhaven School in Maryland