Re: DSM: Heart over Mind

Sun, 05 Nov 2000 23:02:59 -0800

on 11/4/00 6:48 AM, Rick Stansberger at rickstan@zianet.com wrote:

> Robert, you can't have it both ways. First you say we're all conditioned so
> much that there is no such thing as an independent inner life (intrinsic
> motivation) and then you say the intellect rules. that's a contradiction.

Yes, in this context it is. Intellect functions as if independent others,
nature, feelings and heart direction. The other part of this equation is
that intellect came about via conditioning. Iether conform to the social
norm (intellect) or else.

> Condition operates through feelings, setting up warm fuzzy feelings for doing
> the "right" thing and fear for doing the "wrong."

Yes, feelings remain critical even if intellect is the focus of thought.
Sadly, intellect is largely amoral and fear based. The alternative is
empathy and joy based. This joy might be considered progressive -- from
personal freedom to joy for freeing others, from joy for material things and
control to joy for spiritual things and guidance. Intellect devolves,
intelligence evolves.

> Those who have defeated their conditioning through therapy or self therapy
> make
> heavy use of the intellect for examining and thwarting the old conditioned

This seems appropriate use of intellect, a first step toward the integration
of intelligence. The purpose of intellect is abstract consideration of
possibilities. robert