Re: DSM: data improves school

Sun, 05 Nov 2000 23:02:59 -0800

on 11/3/00 11:40 PM, Rick Stansberger at rickstan@zianet.com wrote:

> Robert,
>
> You and I see sudschools very differently.
>
>> There is no cure while intellect is central. First it must be suffocated of
>> its control, as Sudbury so wonderfully provides a space for.
>>

> I see sudbury schools as providing places for the intellect to flourish,
> leading the
> students wherever it wishes. The factory schools I've taught in stifle
> intellect,
> not sudschools. Where's your evidence that they suffocate intellect?
>
> Rick

My computer locked up. I'll try this reply again, maybe abbreviated.
We need to stifle intellect that intuition and joy may flourish. Fear and
intellect are blood brothers. I see public schools as exemplifying and
demanding intellect. It is the isolation, the competitive fight or flight,
the lack of trust in the natural development of intelligence.

Sudbury gets adults out of the way that exploration may occur. If intellect
has been conditioned then, even without adults around, still they will
explore intellectually. If a student has been brought up advantaged, and
their heart is guiding them to know their emotions, empathizing with others,
joyfully being creative with intellect as a tool on the side, then they will
explore intelligently as nature intended. The question I have is, what
dominates the culture at sudbury? Is it intellect apprehensively trying to
fit in, or is it intelligence joyfully lending support to other's
exploration? Used appropriately, intellect easily comes up with many things
to explore in behalf of joyful creativity and mutual welfare.

Would any students care to respond?

A note on the side: The news repeated something I've heard earlier -- there
is a mass of brain cells in the abdomen. So, add to the integrity-congruity
of intelligence a gut awareness. It was speculated that this is intuition.

robert