Re: DSM: Sharing the SVS model

Scott David Gray (sgray@aramis.sudval.org)
Sun, 05 Nov 2000 15:11:13 -0500

Hi Julianne,

I think that you are right, that accepting the Sudbury model
of education requires a different perspective than accepting
the so-called traditional model does.

You suggest that in order to accept the Sudbury model, one
must start out accepting that humans are not inherently
flawed. I have a different take on it.

I feel that people are just good and competent enough to
manage their _own_ affairs. But I do not think that people
are trustworthy enough to be put in control of other people.
This is why I favor liberty -- not simply because I can trust
people to govern themselves, but because I _cannot_ trust any
person to govern someone else.
In other words, I accept a child's ability to know her/his own
needs as a given -- this does not mean that I think _any_
person is without flaws. My real fear of traditional school
is that it relies on the Utopian and unrealistic notion that a
third party (the teacher) is falwless enough that s/he can
know how a person other than him/herself should live. That
idea of social control is just plain scary.

--

--Scott David Gray reply to: sgray@sudval.org http://www.sudval.org/~sdg ============================================================ When I was in school, I cheated on my metaphysics exam: I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.