Re: DSM: Heart over Mind

Rick Stansberger (rickstan@zianet.com)
Sat, 04 Nov 2000 07:48:01 -0700

Robert, you can't have it both ways. First you say we're all conditioned so
much that there is no such thing as an independent inner life (intrinsic
motivation) and then you say the intellect rules. that's a contradiction.

Condition operates through feelings, setting up warm fuzzy feelings for doing
the "right" thing and fear for doing the "wrong."

Those who have defeated their conditioning through therapy or self therapy make
heavy use of the intellect for examining and thwarting the old conditioned

I gotta tellya, my friend, regular schooling has next to nothing to do with the
intellect. Intellect scares the bejeepers out of those people. Just watch how
they respond when a new teacher or a kid asks "why?" about one of their
unexamined but cherished rules.

Rick

--
Was he free? Was he happy? The question is absurd:
Had anything been wrong, we should certainly have heard.

"The Unknown Citizen: (To JS/07/M/37 This Marble Monument Is Erected by the State)" W. H. Auden