DSM: data improves school

Fri, 03 Nov 2000 20:22:46 -0800

Fundamental research seems neglected. One simple question is, how do common
human behaviors affect those around us. In public school the quick answer
is, "Dumbs Us Down". The long answer has to do with seating arrangement,
level of sunlight, amount of fresh air, tone of the teacher, length of study
vs intermissions of play or rest, frequency of providing choice, number of
incentives given for setting a common intent, number of offers for support,
number of opportunities to be personable, extent of association of learnings
to real life necessities, extent of association of learning to happiness and
social welfare, frequency of voluntary input from students or teachers, in a
given school culture/climate - what is the frequency of repetition required
for myalination of an experience, how does exposure to a forest change the
school experience, etc. All this is our learning to adapt to technological
culture. For a while man thought he was machine. In taking these steps we
learn how technology must adapt to nature.

Fundamental research should uncover the hardware of being human. Joseph
Pearce has studied and lectured on the evidence for many years. The evidence
he presents strongly indicates that people develop intelligence from a base
of human contact, intuition, open exploration and creativity with quality
role models leading the way. When role models speak they should be leading
the youth to the farthest reaches of creative thought, joyfully. This is
what will open development of the cerebrum past 10% and into highest
intelligence for the good of humanity and for intelligent survival in our
environment, mother earth. So long as education is in discord with the
nature of intelligence, we must look and see why current culture is killing
education, and then stop doing that. Nature will provoke development from
there.

Intellect denies its vicious fear and mean determination to prevent this.
Yet, look at it. The left brain has very few connections to mid brain
feelings. It is the right brain that synthesizes survival with ego, with
feelings, with intellect, with creativity, with fellow humans. In a high
tech society we have conditioned our thoughts to center in the intellect,
the left brain, instead of feelings, shutting off thought from intelligent
living as a whole. Intellect sees little past the current idea gripping its
tiny little isolated thought. But, oh does it have an ego, of fear, all to
itself.

There is no cure while intellect is central. First it must be suffocated of
its control, as Sudbury so wonderfully provides a space for. This cuts the
tops off the weeds. Next remove the conditioning at its roots. Do this
simply by measuring those uncomfortable aspects intellect has been refusing
to see.

robert