DSM: data improves school

Fri, 03 Nov 2000 11:53:49 -0800

Sudbury has created a large library of raw data on themselves. The students
and teachers are constantly taking data on eachother, some of which gets
reported to the judicial committee. This creates accountability. Because of
their intent it also creates freedom. Other benefits: public relations,
self-empowerment, substantiated success per their mission statement
(democracy), ability to plant change where it is needed most, constant
testing and analisys of function, 30 years of success. It is very unlikely,
I'd say impossible, that Sudbury could operate successfully without its
extent data collection. Should they wish to enhance function, they need only
slightly enhance data collection and analisys.

They had to be pushed, but when hospitals on the east coast decided to take
data on procedures and outcomes they were able to move through a lot of ego
and denial and discover what works. Because of data they are saving many
lives each year. This, largly because teams of people learned to work
together. No matter how smart intellect thinks it is, no matter the extent
of good intent, no matter the millions of dollars spent, without data the
effort is done in the dark.

robert