DSM: Finding like minded people

Thu, 02 Nov 2000 20:46:07 -0800

I suppose that we, as intellects, will find it difficult not to force feed
students ideas. Still, the mission of Heartlight is to allow students to
create themseves. Then we start listing concepts the students are to become.
Let's look at this first.

"Conversations With God" suggests that we all want love and happiness, and
accordingly, we really do want the progressive steps to attain the highest
forms of love and happiness. Honesty, awareness and responsibility are given
as essential foundations to getting what we want. There is no demand to
agree with these, but then there are suggestions to merge with people of
commonality that goals may be accomplished. People who come to Heartlight
supposedly agree to love and happiness via honesty, awareness,
responsibility.

The common goals of Sudbury and Heartlight are to allow people to create
themselves. One great challange we share is to remove conditioning so that
education (creating self) is really free. This point needs emphacising. We
are not free. The invasive conditioning of family and friends and media
permeate our lives creating a status quo of stimulus-response. Even at
Sudbury this status quo is determining activities and deterining the
punishments of the judicial committee. There is no thinking outside the box
when status quo is the dominant influence in the community. Not sure?...Just
ask students what are the peer pressures running behaviors and the creation
of rules. I'll wager that no answer will say the pressure is to be an
evolution as an independent thinking self. Sudbury does focus on honesty and
responsibility. How about we add awareness of influences on behavior and
awareness of what can change those influences? (Taking responsibility for
influence is the path to intrinsic motivation and honesty. Blaming is the
path to extrinsic motivation and deciept.)

An alternative:
Again, forced learning is antithetical. How to present opportunities freely
and not limited to the box of status quo? Joseph Pearce said to seek a guru
with an open heart. Just choose to be around the guru and one's mind will
begin to open. We, however, may be stuck with intellects. The good news is
we are not pure Volcan intellects. There is room for modification if it is
so chosen.

Intellect is that part in us that is selfishly motivated to uplift its own
ideas at anothers expense. It cares that its ideas be supported regardless
of the good of the whole. Such behaviors can be identified and counted
(intellect hates this). The emotional self is literally heart directed, and
uses the midbrain and emotions to coordinate survival activities with
highest creative thought. It accomplishes this using supportive energy, not
competition. Congruent behaviors can be counted and qualified.

In a milieu (I love that word) of awareness, honesty and responsibility, the
intellect won't stick around. It can't live with itself. It will leave and
find a place where it can be by itself with others creating this form of
status quo. The integrated brain, however, won't want to leave. It will feel
the synergy of mutual joy and intent. It will know the excitement of
exploring outside the box. It will see the data about self as pure
opportunity and evolve.

So, we begin with intellect and end with integrity. The first part won't
feel good and the last part is so joyous we won't stand ourselves - we will
break free of conditioning. Now all we have to do is say ... together now...
"YES".

robert