Re: DSM: Re: SR+ or Find like-minded people

Rick Stansberger (rickstan@zianet.com)
Thu, 02 Nov 2000 21:13:56 -0700

Robert,

Robert, I think you and I have two different visions of school. You are seeking to
shape behavior, and I'm talking about fostering learning.

Learning is a change which occurs in the mind of a person which involves the
acquisition of new data or concepts or new arrangements of old concepts. What
behaviorists call learning is really conditioning, the externally determined change
of behavior.

Do behaviorists still deny the existence of mind? Thirty years ago, my psych profs
announced that there was no such thing because it could not be operationally
defined. You can see the fallacy in their logic: just because a thing can't be
defined in certain terms does not mean that it doesn't exist.

Why do most of us remember so little of what we were taught in school even if we got
A's in the stuff? Because we were intrinsically motivated to rid our minds of stuff
we didn't value, and we dumped it out of our short-term memories after the tests. I
got the A's all right, all the way up through three college degrees, and it astounds
me when I look at an old transcript at what I supposedly learned. Conversely, I
still have some vivid memories from my college days, and I learned much, but most of
that wasn't on a syllabus.

If you want people to act a certain way (and you don't care if they resent you for
manipulating them), go ahead and apply reinforcement.

If you want a person to acquire (and not forget) new data and concepts and new
connections among previously held notions, stand out of their way and let them
re-grow their curiosity.