Re: DSM: data improves school

Rick Stansberger (rickstan@zianet.com)
Thu, 02 Nov 2000 20:51:23 -0700

Robert, I don't think we need any more data to know how to make effective
schools. Daniel Greenberg had it right when he quoted Aristotle who had it
right when he observed that people are naturally curious. What most people
call "school" actually amputates curiosity ("Not now, Johnny, we're doing
phonics") and replaces it with "motivation," which depends on tricks and
reinforcement and is as clumsy as an artificial limb. Luckily, curiosity does
grow back, and you can even do it to a limited extent in a factory school, as I
did with some high-school seniors one year. It took a long time but I got them
to find within themselves things they truly wanted to know, and, not
surprisingly, those questions were the kind that really young kids ask: What
keeps clouds up? Why doe zebras have stripes? Why are people mean? It made
for some lively research and writing, especially since I allowed them to use
interviews and not just written sources. We don't need any more research. We
just need to go with what we know.

Rick

--
Was he free? Was he happy? The question is absurd:
Had anything been wrong, we should certainly have heard.

"The Unknown Citizen: (To JS/07/M/37 This Marble Monument Is Erected by the State)" W. H. Auden