Re: DSM: Re: SR+ or Find like-minded people

Rick Stansberger (rickstan@zianet.com)
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 15:04:39 -0700

Robert, social reinforcement is far from the only type of reward there is.
Intrinsic rewards are much stronger. Have you read anything by Alfie Kohn --
"Punished by Rewards," or "No Contest" for example. There's lots of good
research to show that externally applied rewards can actually help to extinguish
the desired behavior. I've seen some powerful examples of this in my teaching
career. In fact, I've even made use of it. Praising an adolescent for
disruptive behavior (even while writing him up) can cause an immediate cessation
of such behavior.

--
Was he free? Was he happy? The question is absurd:
Had anything been wrong, we should certainly have heard.

"The Unknown Citizen: (To JS/07/M/37 This Marble Monument Is Erected by the State)" W. H. Auden