Re: DSM: Re: Finding like-minded people

Rick Stansberger (rickstan@zianet.com)
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 20:27:12 -0600

Robert, they already use the behaviorist model in public school, and it
substitutes conditioning for real learning. When the rewards and punishments are
extrinsic rather than intrinsic, you get conditioned responses, not learning.
Conditioning limits a person and makes her/him more predictable and controllable.
Learning expands a person's capabilities and makes her/him less controllable.
Conditioning is unconscious. Conditioned behaviors and thoughts are automatic,
and very difficult to examine. Learned behaviors and thoughts are accessible to
the conscious mind and can be modified. They are also generative. Learning
begets more learning.

So much for the intellectual part. Now for the emotional part. I shuddered when
you suggested rat-lab stuff for children and I wanted to knock you on your butt.
i don't even know who you are, but 25 years in education have absolutely convinced
me of the EVIL of the stimulus-response model when applied ot humans. WE ARE NOT
RATS, DAMN IT!!

We now return you to our normal, reasoned discourse.

Rick

--
Each Life Converges to some Centre --
Expressed -- or still --