Re: DSM: Developmental Disabilities: "Can the student take responsibility..."

Fri, 27 Oct 2000 01:01:39 -0700

"Ask not what your country can do for you..."

At the Recreation Center for the Handicapped and at Shriners Hospital for
Crippled Children it was to my great surprise what they did for my
perspective on life and my sense of self and for my appreciation of
beingness. Potentially there is such joy even if there are missing limbs or
an incoherant brain. Something happened in me as I participated in their
joy. A change in my introspection changed my life.

Is a handicaped person able? Just set up reasonable safety measures per your
budget. Then stop worrying. At Shriners, the less we attended to or worried
over the kids the friendlier and more sufficient our community became. That
was a beautiful lesson for me.

robert swanson