Re: DSM: Re: developmentaldisabilities/ADD

Avenfeliz1@aol.com
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 15:35:44 EDT

In a message dated 10/22/00 7:15:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
cindyk@unitz.on.ca writes:

> Maybe they are helping us to change the way we teach them to
> prepare for a more creative and visual future. The diagnosis seems to be
> increasing at breakneck speed.

Ah!
ADD. The lable of this decade. As a teacher in the mainstream public schools
system, I believe this is over-diagnosed. I never look at my students;
records unless they ask me to, and even then, I ask that all such labels are
taken out of them before I look. Usually, I don't even know who the ADD
students are unless they tell me. Someone on this site has said that labeling
children ADD is trying to mold the child to fit the environment, not adapting
the environment to fit the child. I agree.
Kathleen