DSM: Re: developmentaldisabilities/ADD

CindyK (cindyk@unitz.on.ca)
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 19:16:56 -0400

On the subject of ADD I read a very interesting book called "Right brained
children in a left brained world". I can't remember the name of the author
right now but you could search for it, it's on the net. This book suggests
that kids who are diagnosed ADD are simply right brained and they think
visually. Teaching methods of traditional schools are left brained - verbal
lecturing. This book even suggests that our use of TV and of the internet,
where we are blasted with visual information at tremendous rates, is
actually perpetuating the problem. If you want to consider it a problem.

Here's something to think about. Maybe these kids are actually more highly
evolved. Maybe they are helping us to change the way we teach them to
prepare for a more creative and visual future. The diagnosis seems to be
increasing at breakneck speed. The left brained thinkers are actually an
endangered species. The world is changing and we need to look to the
children for the direction. Maybe they know the way? Just something to
think about. We tend to think that it (ADD) has to be fixed, but just maybe
it will be an asset in the future. As usual, instead of focusing on all the
good qualities these children have, we hone in on the 'negative'. They are
also very creative, loving, intelligent and fun-loving children who, if
allowed, can reach their enormous potential and enlighten us all.

CindyK