DSM: RE: Writing

Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 02:46:01 -0400

Hi.

I think that's a hard question to answer.

I think that students at Sudbury schools that get into writing tend to learn
it by speaking and by reading, as opposed to the sytematic way it is taught
in school (intro, main point 1, main point 2, conclusion and the like).

I haven't seen very many formal writing classes at Fairhaven (much as I have
not seen many "speaking" classes). We do have a reading class however.

Having said that, I don't think writing is emphasized to the same extent it
is in conventional school when it's left up to the students. College prep
schools universally push the hell out of writing because they are, well,
college prep.

I think Sudbury students tend to read more than conventional schoolers, and
they generally read way more sophisticated stuff. I think they write less,
but I would hesitate to say they don't write as well in general. Perhaps
not technically as well, but perhaps are better storytellers, are better at
the creative side?

A very hard question indeed.

-Joe Jackson
please note my new email address: