DSM: Writing

Julianne Madrid (huli_madrid@yahoo.com)
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 20:09:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, my name is Julianne Madrid. I'm not exactly sure
who is reading or responding to this list, but I was
hoping someone might shed some light on something for
me. I've read a lot about the SVS model and I'm
curious about how writing develops for students in
this environment. I ask because I majored in English
in college and am about to embark on public high
school teaching in English. I know for me writing is
definitely a discipline that, although extraordinarily
useful, did not always appear to me as such in the
immediate. It was of great value to me to have a
listener (teacher) who caused me (or perhaps better
stated, expected me) to write with deeper thought and
fluency. Does this emerge out of students' interests
in writing at SVS? Or does clear writing emerge out
of clear thinking and passion about a topic? Is what
makes writing so difficult for some maybe the fact
that we sometimes do it in the abstract about topics
of little interest to the writer? Any thoughts?

=====
Julianne Madrid :)
"There are two ways to live your life--one is as though everything is a miracle, the other is as though nothing is a miracle." --Albert Einstein