RE: DSM: Anyone have tips for someone who wants to start a Sudbury school?

Maddie Kertay (
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 23:09:22 -0400

At 07:36 PM 10/12/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Maddie - Can't you apply for approval as a Tennessee private school through
>the Commissioner of Education?
>I'm sure you've done the legal research, but check out

Ah... and there lies the rub... take a quick look at the approval agencies
listed.(below).. notice anything??? Anything that might hinder some nice
liberal non Christians from opening a school????

This has also been an issue of many who home school in TN since the right
to do so unburdened by government interference is chatteled to Christian
rights in my state.. leaving those who are not Christian out on a very
shaky limb. The same goes for "different" schools trying to open... our
best chance is going to be to get my UU or other liberal facility to
sponsor a school... apply for "Registration/Licensing/Accreditation",
get shot down ( yep I know it will happen) and then take it to court. All
of which is a way lot of money that none of us have. I have been pondering
chatting with the ACLU about the circumstance and see what I can do on that
front.... so many choices....which leads me to a question.....

Have any of you opened something more like a "Sudbury style" learning
center where home schoolers can gather and be in such an atmosphere while
trying to get a "legal school" up and running??? I guess I am asking what
you have done with your children in the mean time... for us we are home
schooling... but do others just leave their kids in public school while
working on this process??


Registration/Licensing/Accreditation: Church-related schools are required
to meet the standards of accreditation or membership of the Tennessee
Association of Christian Schools, the Association of Christian Schools
International, the Tennessee Association of Independent Schools, the
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, the Tennessee Association of
Non-Public Academic Schools, or a school affiliated with Accelerated
Christian Education, Inc. Church-related schools may voluntarily seek
approval by the State Board of Education. Tenn. Code Ann. 49-50-801.

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.0b3 on Sun Oct 15 2000 - 23:09:22 EDT