DSM: Re: Finding like-minded people

Melissa Bradford (mbradford@mediaone.net)
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 22:22:54 -0500

Dear Holly,

Just my opinion, here, but speaking from experience as someone who has
started a Sudbury school, I must say that I would never, ever, consider
starting one if there was one already operating successfully only 40 minutes
away.

I know how hard a commute can be, and how difficult it is to have your
children attend a school where their classmates don't live in the same town,
but it is nothing compared to the unbelievable difficulties in starting a
Sudbury school. Of course, there were no Sudbury schools in the Chicago
area at the time when we began working on LVS, (still aren't) so I felt I
did not have much of an option. But the impact starting a school has had on
my family, especially my children, has been enormous, and, in retrospect,
I'm not sure I would have chosen to put them through such difficulties had I
known what I was getting myself into. Getting the school started is only
the beginning of the challenge. Having it run successfully takes years of
struggle. Finding like-minded individuals in your community can be like
searching for needles in a hay stack. Many times I have wished I could wave
a magic wand and move to a school that is already established.

We have families who commute 45 minutes to an hour to attend our school
(Liberty Valley School, Joliet, IL) and it is, without question, difficult.
Our first year we lived a half hour away from the school. We moved so that
we could be closer; only ten minutes away. Still, I would trade my
situation for having an established school 40 minutes away any day of the
week.

Well, if this message doesn't deter you, you are probably just crazy enough
to start your own Sudbury school!

Best of luck.

Melissa Bradford, LVS