Re: DSM: authorities' approval for Sudbury Schools

Avenfeliz1@aol.com
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 17:29:47 EDT

In a message dated 9/30/00 2:30:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Msadofsky@aol.com writes:

<< I think most people would disagree with you about the culture at Sudbury
 Valley. Most people do not find it "soft". >>

Mimsy,
"Soft culture" is a personally defined term. When I go to Sudbury, and see
highschool-age boys swinging on the swings freely, young boys jumping rope
with the girls, and older students playing with and sometimes nurturing
younger ones... That's what I mean by "soft culture - Playing basketball and
Capture the flag without the complications of rough competition, and children
using four-letter words without that "edge" in it. Develop that, and freedom
and responsibility may have a more harmonious existence. The fear of
punishment is diminished, and the need to please adults is absent.
Charlotte