Re: DSM: authorities' approval for Sudbury Schools

Scott David Gray (sdavid@tiac.net)
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 09:29:05 -0400

In the United States, the Federal government leaves most
schooling issues up to the individual states; though if
candidates for the US Presidency and Vice Presidency Albert
Gore and Joseph Liebermann get thier way, that would change.
As such, each Sudbury school has a different story than the
others -- in some states it has proven all but impossible to
start a school while keeping the Sudbury model intact.

In Massachusetts, the state gives a great deal of leeway for
private schools, asking mainly that the school commitee for
the town the school is in (elected locally -- not appointed by
the state) give the school permission to operate. The
Framingham school committee gave Sudbury Valley School
permission to operate, and given the outstanding achievements
of the school (and the fact that several Massachusetts towns
have paid SVS tuition for students that they felt could not be
educated in their schools) nobody has ever had cause to
question the town for allowing Sudbury Valley to operate.

--

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sdavid@tiac.net