Re: DSM: RE: SVS and conservative people

Martin Wilke (martin.wilke@gmx.net)
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:44:55 +0200

Scott David Gray schrieb:

> In the modern US, in my experience, the terms "liberal" and "conservative"
> generally mean two things:
>
> 1: People who like the idea of ownership of every resource. The conservatives
> tend to favor ownership by private individuals and organizations. The liberals
> tend to favor ownership by a single powerful organization -- the state. This is a
> new feature; in past centuries, liberals tended to believe in the concept of
> ownership, while conservatives tended to believe in the concept that some things
> were too sacred to own.
>
> This assumption doesn't concern Sudbury Model Schools per se.
>
> 2: People who want some measure of social control. The conservatives tend to
> prefer that those who exert the social control be overt about it (school uniforms,
> back to basics). The liberals tend to prefer that those who exert the social
> control be discreet about it (a guiding hand, programs for bringing the student
> into the fold). This is a new feature; in past centuries Martin's analysis may
> have held, and conservatives tended to favor social control while liberals tended
> to oppose it (then again, those who headed the French Revolution obviously
> believed in total social control, and were obviously not conservatives).
>
> In the field of education modern liberals stand for giving students the _sense_
> that they have a say in what they learn, even if they are only allowed to choose
> between alternatives laid out for them in advance. The liberal educationist is
> more interested in attacking the student's motivation so that the student
> "chooses" the course already laid out for him/her, while the conservative
> educationist prefers to attack the details of the student's day and lay out a
> direct curriculum.
>
> The Sudbury model rejects this sort of social control -- and is therefore at odds
> with both the modern liberal and modern conservative in the US.

Although had the question about "conservative people" in my mind before,
what actually made me ask it here, was what Daniel Greenberg wrote in
the free chapter of "A clearer view":
<They say, "You must have people who are left of center politically
because it sounds like a leftist-radical place -- empowerment of the
common man and all that." We have some, but we also have a lot of very
non-left people here, a lot of old Yankee conservatives.>

And I wanted (and still want) to find out what these conservatives are
like, whether they have anything in common with the below description.

Martin Wilke