Re: DSM: SVS and conservative people

David Hazen (davidhazen@yahoo.com)
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 14:39:46 -0700 (PDT)

I've always been a lefty, but I have more in common
with some conservative friends when it comes to
education. I would differentiate between social
conservatives and other conservatives, although I
don't believe any generalizations about groups are
particularly useful.--- Alan Klein <Alan@klein.net>
wrote:
> The lure of democratic schools for this "politically
> leftist" person is the
> emphasis on freedom and choice (hence the "liber"
> part of liberal).
>
> My stereotype about "conservative...people" is that
> they tend to be in favor
> of controlling people's personal issues (dress,
> length of hair,
> reproductivity, sexual orientation, music, etc.) if
> they do not agree with
> that person's choices, beliefs, or orientation.
>
> Actually, I tend to agree with the person who said
> that there is little
> difference between our two main political parties in
> that each believes in
> government control, just over different things in
> different ways. Democrats
> tend to favor controls over business and Republicans
> tend to favor control
> over people [...he said, secure in the knowledge
> that he has just inflamed
> the majority of his readers! ;o) ]
>
> My preference is more libertarian, which I see as
> favoring fewer controls
> over everyone.
>
> ~Alan

=====
Love and Peace,

David

"A school should not be preparation for life. A school should be life." -Elbert Hubbard