DSM: [SVS Discussion Board] Re: Sudbury and learning disabilities or low IQ's

webmaster@sudval.org
Thu, 11 May 2000 21:16:13 -0400

   MESSAGE: (#130) Re: Sudbury and learning disabilities or low IQ's
   AUTHOR: Wallace <mafisch@aol.com>
   DATE: Thursday, 11 May 2000, at 9:16 p.m.

   Reply To: (#127) Sudbury and learning disabilities or low IQ's
   Author: RS B;ale
   Date: Monday, 24 April 2000, at 7:37 p.m.

: I have three children (ages 9 yr, 9 yr, and 11 yr) and am strongly
: considering putting them in a Sudbury school. One of my sons (age 9) is
: struggling with school. He has been labeled to have a learning disability
: (is reading at a 1st grade level) and is becoming extremely frustrated
: with traditional school. I have recently put him in a private school for
: kids with dyslexia. He is doing better.

: My question is what is your take on kids with low IQ's (71) and having a
: difficult time reading attending a Sudbury school? Do you see kids make
: gains when the pressure is off of them (I know the answer to this one)?
: Has anyone watched a child with learning disabilities similar to mine go
: through a Sudbury school? Could I hear some of the results, what the child
: was like, what happened to the child? Also what about diplomias, or GED's,
: how does the graduation process work?

: I have taken many classes on child development, and recently just opted out
: of a teacher certification program, when I found out how badly schools are
: failing, and didn't want to be a part of it. I learned about the Reggio
: Emilia philosophy for preschooolers, Montesorri, and the Sudbury school
: approach is right up with the way our children naturally learn and have
: been learning for centuries. Thank you for any advice I can receive on the
: LD/ADD issue and the Sudbury philosophy. (This may be what I do my thesis
: on for the grad program I am starting).

: Becky

I would like to see a response to this message. We have been through the
public school process of "labeling" children as ADD and virtually forcing you
to attempt the Ritalin route or watch the child be ostracized by the adults on
the staff. We have even had our pediatrician give them his medical opinion
that this was not the proper path to take and it fell on deaf ears. We
fortunately moved to another district where this type of pressure doesn't
exist but we are still wary of the whole system because our son's records
followed him.