Re: DSM: Re: your mail

Freekids@aol.com
Tue, 2 May 2000 13:04:39 EDT

Hi,

This is Stuart Williams-Ley from Cedarwood, replying to Dennis's comment
about state laws that allow Sudbury schools. Dennis states:

<<
    I am the someone who listed four states that were mentioned on
 this discussion site that have no mandatory regulation of private
 schools such as of staff and curriculum - Oregon, Delaware, Arkansas
 and maybe New Mexico. Does Illinois have such reguluation, Michelle?
 And does anyone know about New Mexico?
   Clearly, there are "Sudbury schools" in states and countries with
 such regulation. >>

Sudbury schools are able to operate legally in California without any
compromising of the model. The law that regulates who can teach, for example,
says only that teachers must be "capable of teaching." As for curriculum, the
law says that schools must offer instruction in numerous specific subjects,
ranging from math to vocational education. Note, however, the use of the word
"offer." The law doesn't say schools have to make people take classes in all
those subjects. Nor does the public school system interpret the law to mean
everyone must study all those things--else everyone would have to take
vocational education courses. The only laws that dictate what people have to
study are built into the high school diploma requirements, and our school
does not offer a diploma. In sum, then, as long as we provide instruction in
various subjects to people who want it, we are complying with the law. That
doesn't require changing the Sudbury model.

Stuart