DSM: Re: your mail

Dennis Shaughnessy (dshau@scn.org)
Tue, 2 May 2000 00:21:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 29 Apr 2000, Kathleen Stilwell wrote:

> A while back someone posted a message listing four
> states whose education laws would allow the existence
> of a Sudbury model school. Does anyone remember what
> those states are?
> Kathy Stilwell

 Hi Kathy,

   I am the someone who listed four states that were mentioned on
this discussion site that have no mandatory regulation of private
schools such as of staff and curriculum - Oregon, Delaware, Arkansas
and maybe New Mexico. Does Illinois have such reguluation, Michelle?
And does anyone know about New Mexico?
  Clearly, there are "Sudbury schools" in states and countries with
such regulation. It is admirable that they often fight against this
regulation - front on, or being smarter or "fashioning an end run"
as Joe said. Some schools reluctantly or not, adapt to the regulation
and who is to, or would want to, judge whether they are revisionist
or not?
  The Sudbury model seems simple and straightforward. The most unique
feature of the model is the hiring and firing of staff soley by a
vote of students and staff. Other important central features are
no curriculum, jury of peers, one person - one vote in running the
school and empowerment of parents through the assembly.
  I feel the North Carolina test at the end of the year, for example,
puts fetters on the model. Parents and students might be pressured
to do well on the mandated test, fettering freedom.
  The Sudbury Valley School has passed the test of time (unlike
almost all other private alternative schools from the 60's) and hasn't
compromised its structure. Like the USA government that the school
resembles, changing the model (or the USA Constitution) can change
democracy, freedom and success.

Dennis