RE: DSM: 2 questions part 1.

Scott Gray (sdg@sudval.org)
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:43:31 -0400 (EDT)

I understand exactly what you're saying. My point is simply that, while
being part of the family business is sufficient education for the family
business, most kids really want much more. They want to be actively
involved in groups of other kids away and apart from adults -- at least I
did when I was a kid; despite (and maybe because the fact) that I deeply
love my parents. I know that I was much happier spending most of my time
away from my parents.

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Joseph Moore wrote:

> Scott - "Homeschooling" has, I think, aquired the connotation of artificial
> lessons and structures - I don't mean that. I'm thinking more of the things
> kids learn just by being around parents and other adults 'making a living' .
> George Washington, for example, knew how to run a plantation by the time he
> was a teenager - there were no 'plantation management' classes involved.
> Gauss, the mathematician, learned by watching his accountant father do long
> addition by hand. In tribal cultures, kids learn to do all the tasks
> required for survival by hanging out with family members. And so on.
>
> A 14 year old Washington was expected to be able to run the farm. A 12 year
> old son of a printer was expected to be able to run a press. Adult-level
> competencies, from hunting and gathering to math, were assumed to be
> acquired without school by what we consider children.
>
> In my ideal world, my wife and I would provide for our family working at
> home. The kids, as soon as they were old enough, would help out in whatever
> way they could - with mailing and billings, or programming, or crafting, or
> writing - whatever. They'd get their time away from us (4-5 hours/day) at
> Diablo Valley School, at least until our community starts respecting kids.
>
> The idea is NOT to steal their childhood, but rather to let them share in
> real accomplishments in the real world, so they don't go scurrying off like
> so many rats to their cubicles when it is time for them to make their way.

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sdg@sudval.org
http://www.sudval.org/~sdg
You may easily play a joke on a man who likes to argue -- agree with him.

-- Ed Howe