RE: DSM: 2 questions part 1.

Joseph Moore (joseph@ivorycc.com)
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 12:18:03 -0700

Scott - "Homeschooling" has, I think, aquired the connotation of artificial
lessons and structures - I don't mean that. I'm thinking more of the things
kids learn just by being around parents and other adults 'making a living' .
George Washington, for example, knew how to run a plantation by the time he
was a teenager - there were no 'plantation management' classes involved.
Gauss, the mathematician, learned by watching his accountant father do long
addition by hand. In tribal cultures, kids learn to do all the tasks
required for survival by hanging out with family members. And so on.

A 14 year old Washington was expected to be able to run the farm. A 12 year
old son of a printer was expected to be able to run a press. Adult-level
competencies, from hunting and gathering to math, were assumed to be
acquired without school by what we consider children.

In my ideal world, my wife and I would provide for our family working at
home. The kids, as soon as they were old enough, would help out in whatever
way they could - with mailing and billings, or programming, or crafting, or
writing - whatever. They'd get their time away from us (4-5 hours/day) at
Diablo Valley School, at least until our community starts respecting kids.

The idea is NOT to steal their childhood, but rather to let them share in
real accomplishments in the real world, so they don't go scurrying off like
so many rats to their cubicles when it is time for them to make their way.