DSM: cigarettes and sex

GrannyPitt@aol.com
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:24:27 EDT

I have some questions about the SVS laws regarding smoking and sex. Because
it can be difficult to read an email's tone, let me say that I am neither for
nor against these school laws. I simply want more information.

1. How did the School Meeting decide to allow smoking but not drugs or
alcohol; or to put it another way - how did the School Meeting decide to ban
drugs and alcohol but not cigarettes?

2. Is it legal in Massachusetts to sell cigarettes to minors?

3. Has an SVS student ever gotten pregnant while a student (or fathered a
child)?

4. Have the staff, students or parents ever requested student education
pertaining to smoking or sexual activity?

5. I found the SVS school law that sexual behavior is limited to behavior
that is within the norms for the community (I'm paraphrasing) to be vague.
How is this law interpreted, or has it never required interpretation - has a
student ever been brought up on charges of violating the sexual behavior law?

6. Do the school laws regarding smoking and sexual behavior tend to be
universal in Sudbury-model schools?

GrannyPitt@aol.com