DSM: [SVS Discussion Board] Sudbury and learning disabilities or low IQ's

webmaster@sudval.org
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 19:37:04 -0400

   MESSAGE: (#127) Sudbury and learning disabilities or low IQ's
   AUTHOR: RS B;ale <Beckywwu@aol.com>
   DATE: Monday, 24 April 2000, at 7:37 p.m.

I have three children (ages 9 yr, 9 yr, and 11 yr) and am strongly considering
putting them in a Sudbury school. One of my sons (age 9) is struggling with
school. He has been labeled to have a learning disability (is reading at a 1st
grade level) and is becoming extremely frustrated with traditional school. I
have recently put him in a private school for kids with dyslexia. He is doing
better.

My question is what is your take on kids with low IQ's (71) and having a
difficult time reading attending a Sudbury school? Do you see kids make gains
when the pressure is off of them (I know the answer to this one)? Has anyone
watched a child with learning disabilities similar to mine go through a
Sudbury school? Could I hear some of the results, what the child was like,
what happened to the child? Also what about diplomias, or GED's, how does the
graduation process work?

I have taken many classes on child development, and recently just opted out of
a teacher certification program, when I found out how badly schools are
failing, and didn't want to be a part of it. I learned about the Reggio Emilia
philosophy for preschooolers, Montesorri, and the Sudbury school approach is
right up with the way our children naturally learn and have been learning for
centuries. Thank you for any advice I can receive on the LD/ADD issue and the
Sudbury philosophy. (This may be what I do my thesis on for the grad program I
am starting).

Becky