Re: DSM: [SVS Discussion Board] questions

Alan Klein (Alan@klein.net)
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 11:24:26 -0400

Joe,

Thanks for your thoughtful and thought provoking posting. I resonate with
your concern that we not allow others to frame the assumptions behind a
discussion/argument, but rather do this mutually.

In this case, however, I am not sure what all the fuss is about. The
question, "Is the student body multicultural?", simply asks for demographic
information (or at least a summary thereof); information that would be
available, for example, through a census. It makes no attempt to place a
value judgment or a hierarchy on the information.

It seems it would have been very easy for Scott or Mimsy to reply (I am
making these numbers up), "We have about an equal mix of male and female
students and staff. About 90% of the student body is white, as is all of the
staff at this time. Most of the rest of the 10% is Asian. We really don't
know about religious affiliation, but there seems to be a mixture. The
percentage of Jewish students and staff is probably a little above that of
the local population. We don't formally track our students (or staff's)
sexual orientation, but there are a few openly gay and lesbian students and
one staff member. Socio-economic class is always hard to tell, since we
don't ask such questions, but we know that our student body runs the gamut
from folks who scrimp and save just to make our (low) tuition payments to
those who are pretty well off. Most seem solidly middle-class." This could
have been accompanied by a statement such as the one you make in terms of
the most important criteria being that people come who want to come.

Multiculturalism, for me, is simply a fact; it is either there or not. When
I do a "diversity" workshop, as I did the other day, with a team of 25
workers from a major high-tech manufacturing company who are all white, all
male, almost all Protestant, and who's average tenure with the company was
31.5 years I feel on safe ground to say that there was not much
multiculturalism within that group. Nothing wrong with that. It was just a
fact. My tack with them was to look at themselves as individuals and to look
at the similarities and differences they embodied. We talked about how they
handle those differences and looked at effective ways to take advantage of
them and to lessen the complexities of doing so.

It is easy for me (a white, middle-class, straight, guy whose mental and
physical capabilities are in fairly good order) to say (as you did),
"(these) alleged generalized differences between individuals based on their
color, religion and presumed ancestry...(are an) arcane and increasingly
obsolete manner in which to generalize traits between people! - color is
increasingly not related to the nationality (-ies) and family culture;
religion is increasingly not related to any generalized cultural traits
whatsoever, and the entire arrangement only serves to reinforce prejudices."
The experience of those who are not of the majority/power groups in this
society is too ubiquitous to ignore, however. race, gender, sexual
orientation, and religion are still ways in which people are routinely
treated unfairly, i.e., they are not treated according to "the actual
differences between individuals", as you and I both advocate. To ignore this
is to blind ourselves to the realities of the lives of all to many people.

~Alan