Re: DSM: [SVS Discussion Board] Re: Child Safety

WarOnTies@aol.com
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 22:24:21 EDT

In a message dated 4/13/00 4:57:36 PM, tls@ziplink.net writes:

<< Both of these cases require an individual case-by-case basis. How
vulnerable? Is someone else responsible for them? Should they be? Young
children can be treated as a group in this case as they are - without
exception - unable to physically best the average adult. You can always
try and even out the comparison by upping the ante - I've got a knife,
you've got a gun, and this guy has a nuclear device - but a young child is
more vulnerable across the board. >>

Who decides?

<< I couldn't disagree with you more in this case. The whole object of
childhood in general and the child-parent relationship in particular, is to
allow the child to move from totally dependent to independent. >>

Dependant doesn't have to mean controlled.

<< It would be a horrible lapse in my responsibility as a parent if I let my
young child do something dangerous simply because he wanted to. And if I had
done
that, we wouldn't be having this discussion because my little angel would
have been dead by the age of two. If he were lucky. >>

Why do you go on the assumption that your child is a suicidal maniac with no
concern for his well-being?

~woty