Re: DSM: [SVS Discussion Board] questions

Alan Klein (Alan@klein.net)
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 20:36:07 -0400

I have to say that I don't understand the emphasis on "judging". I see it as
"noticing". It has nothing to do with preferring one kid over another. It
has everything to do with preferring (not mandating) as wide a variety of
people to interact with as possible.

The problem with simply accepting whoever shows up (as versus actively
engaging in outreach/advertising to a wider audience) is that it fails to
acknowledge the very real forces at play in society. In much the same way
that these schools must acknowledge the legal realities, such as for safety
and health issues, they/we can (and I believe should) acknowledge the
social/political realities at work in society that disincline various
people, both as individuals and as groups, from looking into democratic
education.

I am not sure what you mean, Joseph, by "artificially arranged diversity." I
agree with your last line: "Spread the word everywhere."

~Alan