RE: DSM: [SVS Discussion Board] questions

Joseph Moore (joseph@ivorycc.com)
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:58:07 -0700

I think Mimsy is on to something very important here - whatever words are
used to describe it, one HAS TO "judge" people somehow in order to even talk
about "diversity" - diversity of what? Well intentioned people can end up
preferring this kid to that kid because, when it comes right down to it, one
kid's skin is darker than the other, or his parents speak with an accent, or
drive a beat-up car, or - ? Whatever criteria you use, you're still judging,
and in a most dehumanizing way.

Any attempt to actively favor diversity (as opposed to doing your best to
make whoever happens to show up feel welcome)is going to have to set up some
people as judges of other people. There's no practical or even logical way
around this.

Also, exactly what is the goal, here? We all need to learn to get along
peaceably with whomever we happen to find ourselves sharing the world with.
Sudbury schools are uniquely great at this! Our kids are learning self
control, self respect, and respect for the rights of others. This translates
to the real world better, I would think, than any artificially arranged
diversity.

Make people feel welcome. Run a truly democratic school. Allow people to be
most themselves. Do what you can to keep the costs down (that's the primary
way to lower the tuition hurdle). Spread the word everywhere.