Re: DSM: [SVS Discussion Board] questions

Alan Klein (Alan@klein.net)
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 22:19:10 -0400

Mims and Scott David,

While I applaud almost all of your answers to Tom's questions (and thank you
for taking the time to do so), I think you are being a bit evasive in regard
to his question about the multicultural makeup of the student body at SVS.
Scott's answer (paraphrased) was that, since all of the students act as
individuals, everyone is a culture unto themselves. Mims responds that SVS
doesn't have a test for ethnic background. I think Tom was asking something
more basic; something that is highly observable without "tests" of any type.
I believe that he was simply asking you (and, by extension, all of us who
are or who have been involved in democratic schools) to look around in our
minds' eyes at our students and to gauge the balance of various racial and
ethnic groups. Nothing definitive...he wasn't asking for a census...just a
rough estimate.

My concern is that by appearing evasive, we appear defensive when there is
(hopefully) nothing to be defensive about.

~Alan